Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Last days of Uni life...

I can clearly remember the day the A/L results were released. I had one B pass, and it was for physics. However, my district rank was 25, which means I wasn't that bad. Still, I knew I was on the edge of getting selected to the University of Moratuwa, which was a dream back then. I had never considered the University of Peradeniya because it was far from my home, while Moratuwa was only 18 km away. Anyway, I was very doubtful about what would happen and asked my friends if I would get selected to Moratuwa. Last year, 34 ranks went to Moratuwa, so I had some hope. Finally, the university selection day arrived, and I was selected for
the University of Peradeniya. My mom was in tears; she was not happy at all. My sister was like, "Superb, now we can visit Peradeniya frequently!!!" (In all those years, she only visited twice: on the first day I came to the hostel and during one blooming season.)

I felt empty and nothing much was going on in my mind. Anyway, I had been selected for the Engineering Faculty, and my new target was to do my best. Over time, I fell in love with this place. From then on, I defined Peradeniya as my most wonderful failure.

I always had the idea of becoming an engineer. When I thought about this, my imagination always ended up with me as an electrical engineer, and I don't know why. That was my dream. However, I was doubtful whether I could get a high enough GPA to be selected for the Electrical Engineering department. I got more than enough. My hard work finally paid off. But I wasn't that good at electrical subjects, and I was a little afraid to go into electrical engineering, so I decided to go to the highest-ranking department, which was the Computer Engineering department. However, my mind was still saying that I didn't want to end up in front of a laptop screen for my whole life. (And here I am, typing my blog story and thinking the same thing.) But back then, it was the pandemic, and staring at screens was the only thing we could do. So I thought it was fine.

The second year was okay. I had to deal with some rough times since my father had to undergo surgery. Other than that, everything was fine. The third year was not actually okay. We had a third-year project and had to do a lot within one semester, and that was not fine. But we managed it. It was over. Then came the internship. That was my first industry experience, and it was really good. Then cheers to this year. The final year started with the FYP, my first-ever research experience. I had my last presentation as an undergraduate on 9th July 2024. Now it is only two weeks until the final examination.

It feels a bit strange when all you want is to get out of this place and finally go back home officially. But once you know you have only one month left here, it feels strangely different. This place taught me a lot about people, being independent, and adjusting to availability. Yeah, and to eat anything and survive (basically the simplicity of life).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last days of Uni life...

I can clearly remember the day the A/L results were released. I had one B pass, and it was for physics. However, my district rank was 25, wh...